DOWN SYNDROME FESTIVAL & 5K
26th Anniversary - Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma Annual Festival and 5K
Due to the rising cases and concern around the coronavirus (COVID-19), DSACO has made the decision to host the annual Down Syndrome 5K virtually on September 26, which includes a car parade, “The Parade of Inclusion.” This decision was not taken lightly, but the priority of DSACO is always the safety of families, loved ones with Down syndrome, 5K runners, volunteers, and to those who help put on the event.
- The virtual 5k will take place starting upon registration, ending at noon on Saturday, Sept. 26th, allowing runners to enter their virtual time at their convenience and download your finisher’s certificate.
- Each runner will receive a t-shirt and the profile of a person who has Down syndrome to inspire their “run for a purpose.” Please wear your t-shirt while running and take photos and post to our social medial accounts.
- You can expect to receive your race package within 10-14 business days to the address you provided in your registration. You should also receive an email that your package has been shipped. Please check your registration account if you need to make any changes to your address. We will not reship returned packages. Once you run, log your results here! https://raceday.enmotive.com/#/events/2020-down-syndrome-festival-and-5k/results
“Parade of Inclusion”
- In lieu of an awareness walk, a car parade will take place in downtown Oklahoma City to spread awareness. Family teams, volunteers and community members are encouraged to decorate vehicle(s) to participate in our “Parade of Inclusion” to celebrate the individual and not the diagnosis, celebrating our loved ones with Down syndrome.
- ALL are welcome to participate in the parade.
- DSACO will host a contest for the best decorated vehicle.
- The parade will begin at 10 a.m. at the corner of Oklahoma City Boulevard and Robinson Avenue. The route will then continue north to Sheridan Avenue and toward the west where it will process in front of the Myriad Botanical Gardens.
- We ask that everyone stay in their vehicle during the parade processional.
- “Spirit Volunteers” will line the sidewalks of the parade route, socially distanced, to cheer on our families throughout the parade.
- Family teams, friends and sponsors please register to participate in the awareness parade! Because of traffic flow and street closures we need to have an idea of how many cars to expect.
The health and safety of our loved ones with Down syndrome is extremely important to us. We hope you will run virtually and participate in our parade to celebrate our loved ones with Down syndrome on Sept. 26.
As always, we will continue to further our mission of promoting acceptance and inclusion!
THANK YOU for supporting DSACO's mission to
"raise awareness and provide resources, as well as promote acceptance and inclusion for people with Down syndrome."